about kayla + fbp
For me, this is where it all began. In this photo I am sixteen years old and was just given my first film camera with a few different lenses and a couple of rolls of film. I grew up watching my mom capture photos of me and my brothers and loved looking through old photo albums with her and my grandmother. When I realized that this camera gave me the opportunity to capture memories the way my mom had for me, I couldn’t wait to dive into the world of photography.
I had no clue what I was doing but I was determined to figure it out. I went to half priced books and bought a how to book and poured over it. I highlighted sections, took notes, practiced changing the settings when there was no film in it.
After I felt that I had done enough reading, I drove all over the countryside of where I lived and through lots of trial and error, learned what all of the different settings were capable of.
Once I figured out my settings I bought a tripod and practiced by creating moody images of myself. I would spend any free time that I had in-between school and working to drive around and take photos.
Taking these photos of myself helped me learn some pretty basic rules such as discovering that a lower aperture meant a really neat blurred out background and that a slow shutter speed can create a really neat blur when I twirled around.
But more importantly, it gave me a creative outlet and taught me to see the world in a different way. Once I grew tired of taking photos of myself, I photographed my friends. When they grew tired of me taking their picture, I went to the city to photograph strangers.
And it was then that I realized what I was after. Photography was drawing me to capturing real life, real emotion.
The emotion that I craved to capture most was, simply, love. Which is what led me to creating Full Bloom Photography in 2009.
Witnessing the love of my couples, their families and friends and having the honor of capturing that with my camera is beyond my wildest dreams of what I imagined for my life when I first held a camera.
It’s now been ten years since I held my first camera and I am so beyond thankful to wake up every single day and pursue my dream of capturing the love in others lives.
My name is Kayla and I am the Owner and Photographer of Full Bloom Photography. FBP is based out of Cleveland, Ohio but is available for travel worldwide.
Photography is just one of the many things that fulfill my life. Here’s a few more things that keep me smiling!
– Starting my day with a cup of coffee on my front porch while my adorable puppy Zoey plays in the front yard is the most perfect start to any day for me.
– Spending time with some of my favorites. Most importantly, my mom, best friend of 15 years and my nieces and nephew. My heart overflows when I am surrounded by them.
– Traveling. Getting on new soil, being surrounded by new people and places is one of my most favorite things in the world. So far I have been to Hawaii, Mexico, Florida, Alabama, Chicago, Pittsburgh and all over Canada. I am hoping to make my first trip abroad this fall!
– Being outside. If the sun is shining you can find me outdoors. From walking with Zoey at Edgewater to riding my bike around Lakewood to enjoying Wade Oval or searching antique stores in Ohio City.
– Live music. I love going to concerts! And I am kind of all over the place with my taste in music. I’ve been to every Conor Oberst concert in Cleveland/Chicago for the past 5 years and also saw Beyonce in Chicago last year.
– Cooking and baking. Just over the last year I’ve really gotten into cooking. I love shopping local and playing around with different ingredients to make a yummy meal. So far, my favorite specialty find is pierogis from Pierogi Palace at the Westside Market!